Can you ride an Electric Scooter in the rain?
Can you ride an Electric Scooter in the rain? 5 Tips For Driving Your Electric Scooter When It Rains!
Can you ride an Electric Scooter in the rain? And 5 Tips When Doing So.
An electric scooter is primarily used as a vehicle for the summer. To be enjoyed riding with your T-shirt or top and shorts or skirt. But is that really the case?
- Can you ride an electric scooter in the rain?
- Can you cause a short circuit when riding an electric scooter in the rain?
- Can you ride your E-scooter in heavy rain?
- Can an electric scooter be used in cold and snow?
- Can an electric scooter be used in hot temperatures?
- When to use and when not to use an electric scooter in the rain?
- 5 Tips for riding an electric scooter in the rain
- Frequently asked questions:
- Other useful reviews
Can you ride an electric scooter in the rain?
In most parts of the world, there are often rainy days. And not always expected.
I have had a few times that I drove my electric scooter to work in the sun in the morning and had to drive back home in the afternoon through the rain.
Then you want to be able to ride through the rain with an electric scooter that is waterproof to get home.
Fortunately, that is possible. You can safely drive through the rain with an electric scooter.
Electric scooters are splash-proof, at least if the scooter you buy has an IP54 code or higher.
Most scooters have that IP54 class.
The first digit refers to protection against solids and the second digit to liquids.
The electrical parts (electric motor, battery) are enclosed in an electric scooter and the only two connectors are the throttle and brake levers.
Can you cause a short circuit when riding an electric scooter in the rain?
The voltage of an electric scooter is relatively low. Due to the low voltage of 24 to 36 volts and the design and security, driving in the rain does not break your electric scooter.
Washing your electric scooter is also not a problem.
Therefore it is very unlikely that you will receive an electric shock or cause a short circuit when riding your electric scooter in the rain.
One thing to make sure is that the charging plug is closed properly.
If not, a fair amount of water can easily reach the electronic elements and/or battery.
If that happens, there is a risk of a short circuit.
Can you ride your E-scooter in heavy rain?
As mentioned, most electric scooters are splash-proof and can withstand riding in drizzle or light rain for a short distance or period.
On the other hand, driving through a deep puddle or in heavy rain is not a good idea.
Submerging in water is of course also not a good idea.
The IP54 rating means light rain and splashes, not constant heavy rain or big puddles, remember that.
Can an electric scooter be used in cold and snow?
You can use your electric scooter when it is cold. Even when it is freezing in the middle of winter.
But what you have to take into account is that your battery cannot drive as far because of the cold.
The advantage of an electric motor compared to a combustion engine is that you can drive it instantly, there is no need to warm up the electric motor.
A cold electric motor will not be damaged if you drive it when it’s still cold outside.
This is a big advantage over the combustion engine because an electric scooter does not need to be heated up before it can be driven at full speed.
And what about snow? Well, the same applies as with riding a bicycle and that is that you can ride an electric scooter if there is some snow on the ground, but it is certainly not recommended.
It is slippery and therefore not safe. Especially higher-powered scooters like the Dualtrons and the Wolf Warrior have way too much torque to drive safe in the snow and in slippery conditions.
If you are going to drive in the snow, keep in mind that you have to slow down to avoid skidding and falling.
My advice: It’s best to walk or take public transport when it snows.
Can an electric scooter be used in hot temperatures?
Yes, you can use the scooter in the summer and in very high temperatures. Just like with the cold, the range can be less than you are used to at higher temperatures, but the motors and electrics are not affected by high temperatures in the summer.
It is however NOT recommended to park your E-scooter in the hot sun all day or for a longer period of time.
When to use and when not to use an electric scooter in the rain?
I myself keep the following ‘rules’ in mind to decide whether or not to drive through the rain. In addition, I will also give you some tips if you decide to drive in the rain (which is fine).
When CAN you ride it in the rain?
- Light rain
- Temperatures above 40 degrees F – 5 degrees Celsius
- Few puddles or the possibility to drive around them.
When (recommended) CAN’T you ride it in the rain?
- Hard rain or chance of it
- Temperatures lower than 40 degrees F – 5 degrees Celsius and frost
- Slippery conditions / snow
- Poor visibility (fog)
- A lot of puddles
5 Tips for riding an electric scooter in the rain
If you have to ride an electric scooter through the rain, follow these tips :
- Driving slower: You have less grip on wet surfaces and your braking distance is slightly longer. E-scooters also have relatively smaller wheels. So go slower than you normally do. Also, look ahead to estimate obstacles and the behavior of other road users at an early stage. TIP: Most electric scooters have ABS nowadays which helps a lot with braking in rainy or winter conditions, consider that if you live in a country that has a lot of rain or heavy winters
- Close the charging plug properly. This is direct access for water to electronic components. So close the rubber cap well.
- Be careful when cornering. The tires of a scooter react differently in the rain than in dry weather. So brake on time and take the corner at low speed at a not too big angle.
- Clean your electric scooter after riding in the rain or frost. Mud (or road salt in winter) adheres to the scooter and can damage the material.
- Protect yourself: put on a raincoat and reflective clothing
You can ride an electric scooter in light rain or when it is a bit colder.
The electronic components of an electric scooter are protected against splash water.
For your own safety, make sure that you drive slower than usual.
Because of the rain, your tires have less grip and your braking distance is longer.
Frequently asked questions:
Other useful reviews
Be sure to check out our list of the best electric scooter for:
Best electric scooter for adults 300 lbs – 136 kg and up