E-scooter & E-Bike Battery Tips
What kind of battery does an electric scooter use?
For electric scooters, Lithium-ion batteries are used. These are lightweight batteries that can contain a lot of energy and are rechargeable. Lithium-ion batteries are efficient and have a long service life. They are of course not indestructible, so you always have to take care of them.
The scooter can have a built-in battery or a battery that you can easily disconnect to charge. The range depends on the make and model, but on average you can drive an hour with an electric scooter.
How long do batteries last on electric scooters?
The life of your battery depends on many different factors. How much you drive around with your scooter, how your driving behavior is and how much you charge the electric scooter are all determining elements. It is generally assumed that the battery of an electric scooter lasts between 1 and 3 years, depending on how frequently the scooter is used.
Can you overcharge an electric scooter?
No, if you are using the original factory charger that was delivered with your scooter you can not overcharge the battery of an electric scooter. Only if you start to tinker with the charger or use a non original one there is a risk of overcharging your battery.
How far can an electric scooter go on a full charge?
This depends on the model you have purchased, some really good commuter scooters like the GOTRAX and the XIAOMI go between 10 and 15 miles (16 to 25km), while more powerful models like the Dualtron Ultra have a range of 80 miles (130km)
How long does it take to charge a scooter battery?
Most electric scooters have a charging timebetween 3 and 5 hours. There are exceptions of course with charging times of up to 20 hours (like the Dualtron Thunder) if you don’t use an optional quick charger.
What electric scooter has the longest range?
The Kaboo Wolf Warrior has the longest range (to date) with 90 miles (144km)
How do you take care of the battery of an electric scooter?
The life of the battery of your electric scooter can be extended. Here are some tips!
- It is important to charge the battery after every ride, even if it is not completely empty. Unlike smartphones, where manufacturers indicate that you should only charge when the battery is completely empty, the recommendation with electric scooters sounds completely different.
- If you put the electric scooter aside for a longer period, you must ensure that the battery is properly charged, ideally 50 to 75%.
- Avoid extreme temperatures, both high and low. So don’t leave your scooter out in the sun and put it inside when it freezes. Charging your electric scooter at extreme temperatures is also not recommended.
- Predicted heavy rain or snow? An electric scooter does not like these bad weather conditions. Do not leave it outside after a ride and check whether the battery contacts have become wet. Dry off if necessary.
- Make sure that the tires of your scooter are properly inflated, which limits the resistance and makes it easier for your battery to move the scooter.
- Respect the weight limit of your electric scooter. If you do not do this, then the battery and the scooter itself suffer. For example, if the weight limit is 200lbs, a ride with two adults is not a good plan.
It is important to charge the battery of your electric scooter after every ride, even if it is not completely empty.
The battery of my electric scooter needs to be replaced, what’s next?
The capacity of the battery reduces. This is the result of chemical crystal formation inside the battery. Charging the battery is more difficult, until it no longer functions properly. In some cases, the battery does not have to be completely replaced, just replacing a few new cells is sufficient. A breeze for professionals, so don’t go to work yourself. Always contact a professional.
If your battery dies, you will need to replace it with a new one. Turn to the dealer where you bought the electric scooter. The replacement of a built-in battery will require a little more work than the replacement of an external battery.
Always take good care of your battery to prolong its life cycle.