How And Where To Rent An Electric Scooter In Denmark – Rules, Costs, And Providers!
Are you planning on going out with the “motoriseret løbehjul” (or electric scooter) in Denmark? As a tourist, you can easily use a shared electric scooter in several cities. These vehicles can be found on almost every street corner. Download the app from the relevant provider, scan a QR code and drive away.
You can read how this works exactly, which rules apply and what the costs are on this page.
- How And Where To Rent An Electric Scooter In Denmark – Rules, Costs, And Providers!
The rules for using an e-scooter in Denmark
Before you get on an electric scooter in Denmark, it is important to be aware of the traffic rules and requirements that you must comply with as a driver. These are the most important rules for tourists:
- The minimum age for using a shared electric scooter is 18 years;
- There is no driving license requirement;
- The use of a helmet is not mandatory, but it is recommended;
- As a driver you follow the traffic rules and road signs for cyclists;
- You are not allowed to drive an electric scooter on the sidewalk;
- You must ride on the bike lane unless otherwise indicated;
- You are not allowed to ride with two people on one electric scooter;
- It is not allowed to ride an electric scooter with alcohol in your blood. The maximum permitted blood alcohol level is 0.5 per mille.
Please note: there may be a separate insurance obligation when you rent an electric scooter in Denmark. Check the coverage with your insurer before departure.
How do you use an e-scooter in Denmark as a tourist?
In six Danish cities, it is currently possible to use a shared electric scooter. You can find and unlock a vehicle with a mobile app. This is done as follows:
Download the app Download the mobile app from one of the active providers (see below which providers are active in Denmark).
Create an account Create an account and link a payment method. Most providers accept payments via credit card, PayPal, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
3. Find an electric scooter near you
Check in the app where the nearest electric scooter is located. In the app, you can also see the scooter’s battery percentage.
4. Unlock the vehicle
Scan the QR code on the scooter to unlock the vehicle and start your ride.
5. Park the scooter.
Done with the ride? Check in the app where the nearest return location is and put the scooter back where it will not affect anyone.
6. End the ride
End the ride using the app. You will then see an overview of the route taken and the costs of your ride.
Which scooter share providers are active in Denmark?
Every city or municipality has its own agreements with shared electric scooter providers. The largest providers in Denmark are:
|Lime, Tier, Voi
What are the costs to rent an electric scooter in Denmark?
The costs of using a shared electric scooter can differ per provider. In any case, take into account a starting rate and a rate per minute.
In general, a provider charges a €1 entry fee to unlock the e-scooter. You then pay €0.15 per minute for use. A 15-minute ride, therefore, costs €3.25.
Tip: take advantage of free rides
Many providers give users the opportunity to take advantage of free rides. This can be done with the help of a ‘referral code’. Such a code is personal and can be found in the mobile app.
If you want to use shared electric scooters with more people, share the code to receive free rides:
Example: Tier app