How And Where To Rent An Electric Scooter In France – Rules, Costs, And Providers!
It is possible to explore the streets in France with a ‘trottinette électrique’, or electric scooter.
How do you use an electric scooter easily and safely and which traffic rules do you have to adhere to? You read it here.
- How And Where To Rent An Electric Scooter In France – Rules, Costs, And Providers!
The rules for using an electric scooter in France
In France, as a driver of an electric scooter, you follow the same traffic rules as cyclists. If you use a scooter, the following rules apply:
- The minimum age for riding a scooter is 12 years old;
- You are obliged to ride on the cycle path where possible. If there is no bike lane available, you use the public road (only on roads with a maximum speed of 50 km/h);
- You are not allowed to drive on the sidewalk with an electric scooter unless this is indicated on a road sign;
- There is no driving license requirement;
- Wearing a helmet is not mandatory;
- You are required to wear a reflective safety vest in the dark or in poor visibility;
- It is forbidden to use a telephone, headphones, or earphones while driving;
- It is forbidden to stand on an electric scooter with two or more people;
- It is not allowed to ride an electric scooter with alcohol in your blood. The maximum permitted alcohol content is 0.5 per mille.
How do you use an e-scooter in France as a tourist?
Example: Bird app
In many French cities (such as Paris, Marseille, and Bordeaux) you can use an electric scooter. These electric scooters can be found and unlocked via the mobile app of the relevant provider. This is done as follows:
Download the app Download the mobile app from one of the active providers (see below which providers are active in France).
Create an account Create an account and link a payment method. Most providers accept payments via credit card, PayPal, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
3. Find an electric scooter near you
Check in the app where the nearest electric scooter is located. In the app, you can also see the scooter’s battery percentage.
4. Unlock the vehicle
Scan the QR code on the scooter to unlock the vehicle and start your ride.
5. Park the scooter.
Done with the ride? Check in the app where the nearest return location is and put the scooter back where it will not affect anyone.
6. End the ride
End the ride using the app. You will then see an overview of the route taken and the costs of your ride.
Which scooter share providers are active in France?
Every city or municipality has its own agreements with shared scooter providers. The largest providers in France are:
|Bordeaux||Bird, Bolt, Dott, Tier, Voi|
|Lyon||Dott, Lime, Tier|
|Paris||Dott, Lime, Tier|
What do you pay per ride to rent an electric scooter in France?
The costs of a ride are made up of a starting rate and a rate per minute. These costs may differ per provider.
On average you pay €1 to unlock a rental electric scooter. The usage costs €0.15 per minute. Suppose you make a ride of 10 minutes, then pay € 2.50 for this.
Tip: take advantage of free rides
Many providers give users the option to share a ‘referral code’ via the app. You share the personal code with a friend who then receives free credit. You can use the free credit (average value of €5) for free rides.
Are you traveling with two or more people? Then take advantage of free rides in the following way:
Example: Tier app