Renting An Electric Scooter In Paris? Explained + Useful Links + Costs!
Since 2018 you can discover Paris by trottinette électrique, or electric scooter. You can use a local provider for this, or a shared scooter.
Discover how this works, what it costs, and which rules you need to take into account.
- Renting An Electric Scooter In Paris? Explained + Useful Links + Costs!
- The rules for using an electric scooter in Paris
- For example, as a tourist you can rent an electric scooter
- HOW IT WORKS
- These scooter share providers are active in Paris
- Take advantage of free rides
The rules for using an electric scooter in Paris
As a driver of an electric scooter, you follow the same traffic rules in Paris as cyclists. In addition, you must take into account the following conditions:
- The minimum age for using an electric scooter is 12 years;
- You are not allowed to ride an e-scooter with more than one person;
- It is forbidden to drive on the sidewalk;
- There is a speed limit of 20 km/h on regular roads and 8 km/h in busy areas;
- The use of a telephone, headphones, or earphones while driving is prohibited;
- It is forbidden to park an electric scooter on a sidewalk where others may be inconvenienced;
- You are not allowed to drive against the flow of traffic.
Please note: violation of one or more rules can result in a fine between €135 and €1,500.
For example, as a tourist you can rent an electric scooter
You can use an electric scooter in Paris in two ways. Which option is most advantageous depends on the duration of use:
- You rent an electric scooter for an hour, a few hours or a full day via a local rental company.
- You are renting a scooter. You pay a starting rate and a rate per minute that you drive.
Rent an electric scooter for an hour, a few hours, or a day
You can rent a scooter for a fixed period through various rental companies. In this case, you pay in advance for the number of hours you want to use the vehicle. The average rent in Paris is €15 per hour. You can reserve e-scooters online at the following rental company:
Address: 19 Quai des Grands Augustins, 75006, Paris
Price per hour: €15
Price for 24 hours: €50
Rent a scooter
The second option is to use an electric scooter. You can find these vehicles all over the city. With the help of an app, you create an account and unlock a vehicle.
The advantage of renting a scooter is the flexibility: you start and stop the ride when it suits you. You can use this in the following way:
HOW IT WORKS
Download an app
Download the mobile app from one of the active providers (see below which providers are active in Paris).
Create an account
Create an account and link a payment method. Most providers accept payments via credit card, PayPal, Apple Pay and Google Pay.
Find a Rental scooter
Find the nearest rental scooter in the app.
Unlock the scooter
Unlock the scooter by scanning the QR code on the handlebars via the app. You are now ready to drive away.
Ending the journey
At the end of the journey, park the E-scooter in the designated zone. End the ride via the app and you will receive an overview of the costs incurred.
These scooter share providers are active in Paris
The three largest providers in Paris are Dott, Lime, and Tier. Each provider has its own app and, in some cases, different costs:
Cost: €1.35 to unlock and €0.23 per minute to use
Cost: €1.35 to unlock and €0.20 per minute to use
Cost: €1 for unlocking and €0.15 per minute for usage
Take advantage of free rides
Several providers give drivers the opportunity to take advantage of free rides. In the mobile app, you will find referral codes that you can share with friends.
Are you going on a trip with several people? Then share this personal code with each other before the first ride and enjoy free credit!