How And Where To Rent An Electric Scooter In Finland – Rules, Costs, And Providers!
An electric scooter is called a “sähköpotkulauta“. As a tourist, you can discover the city by electric scooter in various Finnish cities. In most cases, you use an electric rental scooter.
Discover here which rules apply to the use of an electric scooter, how you use them and what the costs are.
- How And Where To Rent An Electric Scooter In Finland – Rules, Costs, And Providers!
What are the rules for using an e-scooter in Finland?
As a driver of an electric scooter, you follow the same traffic signs in Finland as cyclists. In addition, you must take into account the following conditions:
- There is no minimum age for the use of an electric scooter (Note: some local rental companies have a minimum age of 18 years);
- It is not mandatory to have a driver’s license;
- The use of a helmet is not mandatory, but it is recommended;
- You must use the bike lane and otherwise the road;
- You are not allowed to drive on the sidewalk. Children up to the age of 12 and drivers with electric scooters with a maximum speed of 15 km/h are allowed to drive on the pavement at a walking pace;
- It is forbidden to use your phone while driving;
- It is not allowed to participate in traffic with more than 0.5 per mille.
How do you use an e-scooter in Finland as a tourist?
In Finland, you can rent an electric scooter with the help of a mobile app. Here’s how it works:
HOW IT WORKS
Download the app
Download the mobile app from one of the local providers.
Add a payment method
Create an account and link a payment method. Most providers accept payments via credit card, PayPal, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
Find a shared scooter
Check in the app where the nearest shared scooter is located.
Unlock the vehicle
Unlock the scooter by scanning the QR code on the handlebars via the app.
End your ride
After the ride, park the vehicle in the designated zone. End the ride via the app and you will receive an overview of the costs incurred.
Which scooter share providers are active in Finland?
Every city or municipality has its own agreements with shared scooter providers. The largest providers in Finland are:
|Helsinki||Lime, Tier, Voi|
What are the costs to rent an electric scooter in Finland?
Each provider has its own rate. However, the costs are built up in the same way for all providers. You pay a starting fee to unlock the scooter. You then pay a rate per minute.
On average you pay €1 for the unlock. You then pay €0.15 per minute for use. Are you taking a 15-minute ride? Then you pay about €3.25 for this.
Tip: take advantage of free rides
Do you want to travel even cheaper with an electric scooter? Many providers give users the option to share a personal referral code. These personal codes can be found in the mobile app and can be shared with others.
As soon as someone else enters your code into their app, you both benefit from free rides. This works as follows:
Example: Tier app