How And Where To Rent An Electric Scooter In Spain – Rules, Costs, And Providers!
Do you want to discover one of the Spanish cities in a flexible way? With an electric scooter, you can easily move from A to B and you decide where and when you stop. And Spain has many beautiful roads to drive on with an E-scooter. Since 2021 there were new rules for the use of an e-scooter in Spain.
Which traffic rules apply and how do you use a shared scooter yourself? We’ll give you all the necessary information for your first ride.
- How And Where To Rent An Electric Scooter In Spain – Rules, Costs, And Providers!
The rules for using an electric scooter in Spain
To use an electric scooter safely and responsibly, you follow the same traffic rules as cyclists. Here are the main rules:
- In Spain there is no minimum age for riding an e-scooter, except in Valencia (16 years) and Madrid (15 years);
- The use of a helmet is recommended but not required;
- There is no driving license requirement;
- Drivers must (if available) drive in the bike lane. If there is no bike lane, you use the road;
- It is forbidden to ride an electric scooter with more than one person;
- The use of a telephone, headphones, or earphones during a ride is prohibited;
- You are obliged to wear a reflective safety vest in poor visibility or when it is dark;
- It is not allowed to drive on the sidewalk, in tunnels, or in pedestrian areas.
Please note that special liability insurance is not required, with the exception of Benidorm, Alicante, and Barcelona.
How do you use an e-scooter in Spain as a tourist?
Example: Bird app
In several Spanish cities, you have the option of using an electric scooter. Easily find and unlock an e-scooter with the respective provider’s mobile app. This is how it works:
Download the app Download the mobile app from one of the active providers (see below which providers are active in Spain).
Create an account Create an account and link a payment method. Most providers accept payments via credit card, PayPal, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
3. Find an electric scooter near you
Check in the app where the nearest electric scooter is located. In the app, you can also see the scooter’s battery percentage.
4. Unlock the vehicle
Scan the QR code on the scooter to unlock the vehicle and start your ride.
5. Park the scooter.
Done with the ride? Check in the app where the nearest return location is and put the scooter back where it will not affect anyone.
6. End the ride
To end the ride you just use the app. You will then see an overview of the route taken and the costs of your ride.
Which scooter share providers are active in Spain?
Every city or municipality has its own agreements with shared scooter providers. The largest providers in Spain are:
|Madrid||Bird, Bolt, Lime|
|Malaga||Bird, Dott, Lime, Voi|
What do you pay on average for renting an electric scooter in Spain?
If you use an electric scooter via one of the above providers, you pay a starting rate and a rate per minute. These costs differ per company.
In general, you pay €1 to unlock the shared scooter. After that, you pay € 0.15 per minute. If you take a 15-minute ride, you pay €3.25.
This is how you benefit from free rides
Most providers ensure that users with a ‘referral code’ get more enjoyment out of the app. The code can be exchanged for a free ride. Such a code can usually be found in the app.
Are you traveling with two or more people? Then use free rides in the following way:
Example: Lime app